ShareThis

.

.

27 January 2010

Stevenson Warns Of Deadly Carbon Monoxide Risk

Banff and Buchan MSP Stewart Stevenson has urged Banff and Buchan residents to protect themselves against the deadly threat of Carbon Monoxide poisoning. New research shows that 75% of households in Scotland are putting themselves at risk of poisoning by not having an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm. Carbon Monoxide is a highly poisonous gas that has no colour taste and smell, making it impossible to detect without an alarm.

Stewart is supporting the ‘Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed!’ campaign which encourages people to ensure they have an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm and that they have all fuel burning appliances serviced annually by a registered and qualified engineer. The campaign is also backed by Kirstie Allsopp, of Channel 4’s Location, Location, Location.

Stewart Stevenson says:

"Carbon Monoxide is a deadly gas that you can’t see, smell or taste. I urge every householder in Banff & Buchan to make sure that they have an alarm and that they have their fuel-burning appliances serviced each year by a professional.

"I would like to see a requirement for all new homes to be fitted with an alarm and for landlords to provide an alarm before they can receive their annual gas safety certificate."

Christine McGourty, Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign spokesperson, said:

"We regularly hear about members of the general public whose lives have been saved by a Carbon Monoxide alarm – it’s the only way to detect this killer. You can buy an alarm from around £15 at DIY stores, supermarkets, high street shops or directly from energy suppliers. A number of retailers will also be offering special discounts in support of our campaign this January."

The Carbon Monoxide – Be Alarmed! campaign recommends four simple steps to keep your household safe:
  • Fit an audible Carbon Monoxide alarm which should be marked with the ‘EN50291′ safety standard
  • Have fuel-burning appliances serviced annually by a registered professional
  • Don’t block ventilation and get chimneys swept at least once a year
  • Learn about the danger signs and symptoms of Carbon Monoxide poisoning at http://www.co-bealarmed.co.uk/
Name:
  required
Address:
  required
Email:
  required
Tel No.
  optional
Message:
  required

Stewart Stevenson
does not gather, use or
retain any cookie data.

  © Blogger templates The Professional Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP